Few Amazing Facts about the music maestro A. R. Rahman
Lovingly known as the Mozart of Madras, his music has been lauded all over the world and he still goes on melting our hearts a little, one track at a time. Described as the world's most prominent and prolific film composer by Time, his works are notable for integrating Eastern classical music with electronic music sounds, world music genres and traditional orchestral arrangements. Yes!!, we are referring to none other than A.R. Rahman. January 6th, 2017 marks A.R. Rahman's 50th birthday!
He has won two Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe, four National Film Awards, fifteen Filmfare Awards and thirteen Filmfare Awards South in addition to numerous other awards and nominations.
Here are some amazing facts about his life that very few of us know about:
1. Rahman actually wanted to become a computer engineer. However, he fell in love with the keyboard gifted by his father. Soon he started playing with Illayaraja, the South Indian music composer.
2. He made a debut on TV at the age of 13. He was a part of children's programme on Doordarshan called 'Wonder Balloon'. He became popular as the kid who could play 4 keyboards at once.Source
3. A.R. Rahman’s actual name was Dileep Kumar. The maestro converted to Islam, his mother’s religion, when he was 23 years old.
4. A street in Markham, Ontario, Canada, has been named in his honour in November 2013.
5. Rahman and his son, Ameen share the same birth date, that is 6th January!
6. Airtel's signature tune, composed by Rahman, is the world's most downloaded mobile music with over 150 million downloads.
7. Rahman is the only Indian to be featured in ‘List of best-selling music artists of the world’.
8. Rahman’s award winning song “Jai Ho” was initially composed for the Salman Khan movie Yuvvraaj!. But it later became a part of Slumdog Millionaire.
9. He has been honored with the Padma Bhushan award and Padma Shri award from the Government of India.Source